Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Day 4 -- Recovery from an Inauspicious Start

Day 4, from Duncan Mills, CA to Olema Ranch, CA, was going to be a piece of cake after yesterday's Century. A "mere" 60 miles and 1900 feet in cumulative elevation (at least according to Climate Ride). Not surprisingly, it turned out, according to my Garmin, to be closer to 62 miles and 3900 feet, but that was the least of it.



First, as you can see from the map profile above, we headed inland a bit to start the day -- which with strong winds out of the NNW, was a pretty good ride. And it also didn't have a lot of climbing. But, as you also can see from the profile, from about mile 30 to about mile 45, we had to head back out to the coast, surmount some significant climbs and, to boot, battle a headwind that was regularly 15 to 20 mph and certainly gusted above 30 mph. Ugh!

Second, I had not started the day too auspiciously. Somehow, while eating breakfast, I managed to get scrambled eggs into my windpipe -- or at least I think that's where they went. In any event, they caused a choking, not able to breathe very well, response, with the result being that I spent about 45 minutes on my knees, sporadically vomiting eggs. A lovely image, no? (sorry, no actual pictures.) And definitely not how I wanted to kick off the day, especially after already feeling a bit fatigued from yesterday's long ride. I will say, however, that the Climate Ride EMTs nearby were very nice, comforting and patient with me as I, ahem, worked through this little problem.

They suggested that I might want to shuttle some or all of today's ride, but yours truly, having made it through yesterday's marathon, wanted to complete the full week's course. I figured that I could take it slow and see how I felt. So I did. And, fortunately for me, the ride for the first 30 miles, before turning back out to the coast, was pretty easy. By which point I felt pretty recovered. In fact, recovered enough that when we reached Pt. Reyes near the end of the day, and stopped at the renowned Hog Island Oyster Company restaurant, which has a lovely deck outside perched on the edge of Tomales Bay, I enthusiastically (albeit somewhat trepidatiously) joined the oyster shucking and eating festivities (and, yes, there was even some beer drinking too).

Definitely a better ending to the day....





Oh yeah. It got pretty cold at night!

No comments:

Post a Comment