Monday, May 27, 2013

A Few Final Thoughts


What's a blog without a wrap up? Even if done from the comfort of home several days after the ride end....

As was the case when I first rode Climate Ride in 2011 (on their NYC to DC route), I found the whole experience to be fun, challenging and more than a bit inspiring. In total, there were about 130 of us, most of whom rode the full 330 (or so) miles from Fortuna, CA to San Francisco in the course of 5 days.

Again, I was very impressed by the passion and commitment of the mostly younger folks on the ride (even if one of them said, in what I believe she thought was a compliment, that I "so reminded her of her dad." Sigh). Many of them work in businesses or roles affiliated with the "green" economy or climate change, and they talk about what they are doing, and trying to do, articulately, intelligently and with enthusiasm.

The participants' energy and optimism - and general overall positivity -- carried over to their biking and the whole trip experience. They were friendly, encouraging and helpful in all respects that I can think of. I love living in New York City, but it's too easy sometimes to become somewhat jaded and cynical as a result. Climate Ride was a real recharge of my batteries, and reminded me that each of us individually, and all of us collectively, can make a real difference.

In sum, it was an excellent experience. I'm proud of the riding I accomplished -- the hills, the distances and the wind -- and awed by the scenery and views. As importantly, I'm delighted to have helped raise monies for such excellent organizations as Climate Ride and I Challenge Myself. Obviously I couldn't have done it without your help and support. So thank you all for giving so generously to supporting these causes, and my riding, with your donations. It was very much appreciated.

Maybe even a few of you will consider doing Climate Ride yourselves in the years to come? I would heartily recommend it -- even (maybe) the camping part! I am also pleased to report that the organizers no longer proudly tout special vegan days or meals -- instead, opting to provide "omnivore" and "vegan" options at each meal. Yes!

Yours, one last time, from the (figurative) road.

Roger

P.S. If you're feeling flush or generous or both, contributions can still be made on my donation page here.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting, lively posts, Rog. Soundsd like an amazing combination of grueling (tough climbs; unpredictable, gusty winds; the notorious "srambled eggs" incident) and exhilirating (the views, the people, the zeitgeist).

    Nice to see you had a chance meet up again with Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Roger... The ride / the blog / the photos. A perfect blend of objective information and personal reflection. May the memories last for you. ~~ gr8newz (aka "Brian")

    ReplyDelete